AVL EXCITE™ Strength and Durability Analysis of Engines
AVL EXCITE™ is a proven tool for all engine sizes, from small one-cylinder engines to large ship diesel engines. Different modeling levels for single components, as well as for the entire system, support the optimal modeling depth for each phase of the engine development process, from concept to layout and final design phase.
Powertrain analysis specific workflows, automated model generation and result evaluation capabilities help the engineer to achieve short project lead times. Pre-processing tools like AutoSHAFT for automated crankshaft model generation, template based 3D valve train editor or the tangent model editor for defining chain and belt drives facilitate the efficient set-up of simulation models.
Outstanding features include the integrated elasto-hydrodynamic contact models for all slider and thrust bearings in the cranktrain and the piston/piston ring-liner contact. Considering in detail the local hydrodynamic effects in oil lubricated contacts, the models support the design of these engine components by enabling detailed investigations of key functions such as friction, wear, performance and durability.
Benefits at a Glance
- Optimal solutions for all stages in the development process, engine sizes and configurations
- Engine and powertrain-oriented user interface for efficient modeling and result evaluation
- Accurately calculated dynamic loads and deformations for strength and durability support developing designs closer to endurance limits
- Various detailing levels of non-linear contact joints up to elasto-hydrodynamic contact models
- Whole analysis workflow covered by an integrated Abaqus®-based FE-solver and a fatigue strength analysis tool based on fe-safeTM
- Automated generation of crankshaft models
- Cranktrain unbalance calculation (free forces, moments and balancing ratio)
- Non-stationary transient engine run-up option to detect all critical resonances and shorten the project lead time
- Elasto-hydrodynamic contact models considering structural elasticity, asperity contact, influence of surface roughness, heat flow, oil line connections
- All valve train and timing drive configurations (chain/belt types) supported
- Detailed piston ring model for calculation of inter-ring pressures, ring motion, blow-by and lube oil consumption
- Export of friction maps for AVL CRUISE™ (influence on fuel consumption …)
- Interfaces to all common FE solvers, optimization tools, MATLAB®/Simulink®