AVL - Low CO₂ Demonstrator Vehicle with Electric Boost - Combustion Development
SOLUTION FOR LOW CO₂ – LOW COST GASOLINE POWERTRAIN APPLICATION
AVL - Low CO₂ Demonstrator Vehicle with Electric Boost
Within the last years, AVL built up several demonstrator cars aimed to show substantial fuel economy improvements. Based on standard gasoline engine, AVL achieved high fuel economy together with improved driving performance by utilization of electric boosting combined with additional technology features. All these AVL prototype vehicles demonstrate significantly reduced CO2 emission with minimum on-cost for powertrain hardware components.
- Electric Boosting Device for torque increase - enables longer transmission gear ratios
- Water cooled aluminium exhaust manifold (for reduced enrichment requirement at full load) and with cylinder group separation runners (for cylinder deactivation)
- Thermal management and variable oil pump for improved engine warm-up and reduced friction
- Electronic cylinder deactivation
- Intelligent alternator control for selective electric power generation
- Engine Start/Stop Management
- Extended Micro Hybrid, maintains 12V board net supply (48V optionally)
The final fuel economy improvement is achieved by consequent utilization of newly implemented powertrain features and friction reduction for engine and vehicle results in significant improved fuel economy even in real world operation. By utilization of additional synergies from recuperation by electric boosting this give substantial advantages, but still with moderate system on-cost.