Vehicle Calibration for Emissions and Fuel Consumption
Meeting the requirements of emission legislation is becoming more and more difficult due to ever tightening limits (e.g. Euro 6, SULEV, etc.) and the very strong requirement to reduce fuel consumption (e.g. Europe 95 g/km, CAFE, China Stage 4, etc.). High costs due to penalties or recalls may also arise if the emission limits are exceeded in the field. Robust emission calibration is necessary to meet the emission limits for mass production. All possible conditions like an aged exhaust after-treatment system, altitude and low ambient temperature have to be considered.
AVL's tradition in combustion development means that we have a deep understanding of the formation of engine out emissions. Combined with our long-term experience in exhaust aftertreatment development and know-how in state-of-the-art ECU software strategies, AVL utilizes an integrated emission application approach. A major time reduction is achieved by starting emission cycle optimization in a very early project phase on high dynamic AVL testbeds, using the most modern tools and methodologies.
The in-vehicle optimization on the emission dyno can be carried out at AVL headquarters, at customer's site or locally in AVL Tech Centers.
For gasoline powertrain vehicles the following routines are performed:
- Start and after-start optimization
- Optimisation of catalyst light-off
- Calibration of catalyst heating functions, and secondary air system
- Pre and post-catalyst lambda control
- Optimization for PN Particle Number
- Regeneration strategies for adsorber catalyst as well as filter systems
Drawing on our extensive experience and expertise from the large umber of client projects we have successfully completed over the years, AVL provides high quality calibration for emissions and fuel consumption for:
- Diesel, gasoline, alcohol, CNG, LPG and other fuels
- All kinds of powertrain and hybrid configurations
- The lowest emission levels as well as best fuel consumption
The professional execution of projects leads to trouble-free transfer of results into series production.