AVL SESAM i60 FT Multi Component Exhaust Measurement System - Engine
AVL SESAM i60 FT Multi Component Exhaust Measurement System
The AVL SESAM i60 FT provides optimized analysis methods for different applications and fuels. Every single FTIR comes with an individual gas calibration certificate and verified accuracy. The modular system allows for integration of optional conventional analyzers as well as a second FTIR.
The iGEM SESAM control software allows for easy, intuitive operation of the SESAM i60 FT i60 via a touchscreen. It provides a quick overview of the bench status, including all streams and analyzers. The control software allows diagnostic functions to be performed automatically and supports trouble shooting down to sensor and valve level.
Benefits at a Glance
- Every single FTIR comes with individual gas calibration certificate and verified accuracy.
- Optimized analysis methods for different applications and fuels, based on decades of AVL's FTIR application experience.
- Fast response times with accurate and synchronous measurement of NO, NO2, N2O, NH3, CO, CO2, CH4 as well as alcohols, aldehydes and more within one device.
- Low operating costs due to low maintenance system with no need for regular calibration.
- Easy operation and flexible integration into the testbed automation system.
Today's exhaust gas after-treatment systems for combustion engines are getting more and more complex, especially since the introduction of SCR catalysts and the increased use of alternative fuels. Understanding the detailed chemical reactions in engine exhaust and after-treatment systems is critical to achieve the optimal and efficient development of new components, engines, control systems and powertrains. The SESAM i60 FT provides the accurate and fast measurement of the most important exhaust gas components within one system to ideally support AVL's customers in both R&D and certification.
The SESAM i60 FT creates an infrared broadband spectrum that can be used to detect all spectrum information of the exhaust gas sample at the same time. The absorption spectrum (intensity/wavelength) is calculated from the measured interferograms (intensity/time) by means of the Fourier transformation. With specifically developed evaluation methods, this absorption spectrum is used to determine the results. Optimized analysis methods have been developed for measurements on combustion engines, which, together with the long-term stable factory calibration, provide for the best possible analysis accuracy.
In contrast to conventional single-component analyzers that only operate with one wavelength, the SESAM i60 FT utilizes a broad waveband. Thus, all spectral information of the exhaust gas sample is collected simultaneously.
The standardized spectra used for this have been subject of continuous refinement over years. In addition, specific evaluation methods for automotive application have been developed that, in conjunction with the long-term stable basic calibration, results in optimum analysis accuracy.
The functionality of the SESAM i60 FT can be extended by the following enhancements:
- Multihost stream sharing allows two test cell automation systems to simultaneously use individual streams of a multiple stream emission bench
- Integration of convention gas analyzers like FID (THC), PMD (O2) analyzers and an IRD (CO2) analyzer for EGR stream
- Preparations for additional analyzers for later upgrade and retro-fitting
- Calibration Equipment (see iCAL calibration equipment)
- Local language support of the user interface for all major languages
- Analog I/O box for up to 4 inlets and 16 outlets
The SESAM i60 FT provides the accurate and fast measurement of the most important exhaust gas components within one system to ideally support AVL's customers in both R&D and certification.
- R&D of modern heavy duty engines with SCR technologies (Euro IV, V and VI), especially for the measurement of ammonia (NH3).
- R&D of all modern light duty diesel engines with exhaust after-treatment systems.
- General purpose exhaust emission measurement on engine and chassis dynamometer test cells.
- R&D of modern exhaust after treatment systems (Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC), Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR), Lean NOx Trap (LNT)).
- Development and usage of alternative fuels (CNG, ethanol, methanol, bio-diesel, etc.)
- R&D of various other applications like fuel cells and hybrid drives.
FID – Flame Ionization Detector
The AVL Flame Ionization Detector (FID) analyzer is designed for measurements of total Hhdrocarbon (THC) concentrations.
IRD - Infrared Detector
The AVL Infrared Detector (IRD) i60 analyzer is designed for measurements of the concentrations of various infrared active compounds like carbon dioxide (CO2), carbon monoxide (CO), hexane (C6H14), nitrous oxide (N2O) in the exhaust gas.
PMD - Paramagnetic Detector
The AVL Paramagnetic Detector (PMD) i60 analyzer is designed for measurements of the oxygen (O2) concentration in the exhaust gas.
- Plug & play analyzers enable a fast change of analyzers and thus, ensure data integrity.
- The use of span gas cells (for IRD analyzers) enables an operation without span gases. In that way operating and investment costs can be reduced.
- Excellent signal-to-noise ratio enables a higher measurement accuracy and better reproducibility.
- By means of faster electronics, improved signal conditioning and eliminating unnecessary dead volumes, response times are minimized.
- The gas analyzers are connected via high-speed CANopen interfaces, which enable sampling rates up to 50 Hz.
iGEM SESAM Control SW
The intelligent iGEM platform constitutes the basis for optimum operation, high-grade diagnostics, easy connectivity and upgradeability. This platform is the control software for all products of the iGeneration.The iGEM SESAM control software comes with core features like:
- High-grade, configurable graphical user interface with interactive controls and online user support.
- High degree of self-diagnostics with adjustable control limits for almost every parameter in the system.
- Legislation compliant for Euro VI and EPA 40 CFR part 1065, including automated checks for linearity, accuracy/noise/repeatability, and system response time.
- AVL iGEM functionality provides resource management, security control with different user levels, multi-language support, scheduler for checks and main functions, multi-host support, etc.
The AVL SESAM i60 FT is available in the following three versions:
- Small cabinet with an FTIR and optional THC analyzer or 5 liter liquid nitrogen extension Dewar.
- Large cabinet with an FTIR and optional THC, O2 and CO2-EGR analyzers.
- Large cabinet with two FTIRs for simultaneous pre-and post-exhaust after treatment measurements.
All versions support the following FTIR models:
SESAM i60 FT 1 Hz
In the basic version the system samples multiple components at 1 Hz scan rate with the high spectral resolution of 0.5 cm-1 with response times within 1 second. For this reason, the system is the ideal tool for analyzing the dynamic reactions e.g. in exhaust after treatment systems.
SESAM i60 FT 5 Hz
The 5 Hz version is optimized to sample multiple components every 200 ms with the high spectral resolution of 0.5 cm-1 with response times within 1 second. For this reason, the system is the ideal tool for analyzing high-dynamic reactions e.g. in exhaust after treatment systems.
SESAM i60 FT Fast Response
For a better analysis of the dynamic reactions, for example in an SCR catalytic converter, and to avoid aliasing effects caused by under-sampling a new and faster FTIR is needed. The SESAM i60 FT Fast Response samples the multiple components every 200 ms (5Hz) with the high spectral resolution of 0.5 cm-1. The high resolution is a necessity for measurements optimized for cross-sensitivity, e.g. for measuring a low concentration of NO when there is a high H2O concentration at the same time.
The higher sampling rate requires a faster infrared optic and faster measurement electronic. In addition, the computing performance had to be increased and the special gas cell and the sample gas preparation had to be optimized. The SESAM i60 FT Fast Response has a t10 - t90 time below 300 ms, compared to 1 second in the 1Hz/5Hz system, and a sample gas flow as low as 20 l/min.
For applications where 1 Hz sampling is sufficient, the SESAM i60 FT Fast Response version can be used in 1 Hz mode. It then calculates 1 second on average, which lowers the detection limits even more by reducing signal noise.