4WD Drivetrain with Engine Simulation Test System - Testing Solutions
Durability and performance development for 4WD Drivetrain using a primemover to replace the combustion engine
4WD Drivetrain with Engine Simulation Test System
The increasing complexity of modern powertrains is placing increasing demands on the Instrumentation and Test Systems. Parallel development activities of key powertrain components (combustion engine, hybrid engine, transmission, etc.) require transmission and drivetrain testing activities at the earliest possible stage. Validating the drivetrain in an early development phase requires test methods where as much system functions as possible can be tested without the combustion engine and without proving ground tests. Therefore it is mandatory to test available components as soon as possible to improve durability, functionality and performance. The Test System must be flexible to develop various transmission types:
- Manual Transmission (MT)
- Automatic Transmissions (AT)
- Automated Manual Transmissions (AMT)
- Double Clutch Transmissions (DCT)
- Transmissions for Hybrid Electrical Vehicles (HEV)
The success of testing modern and complex powertrains is clearly determined by the "Road to Rig" approach. AVL's 4WD Drivetrain with Engine Simulation Test System covers the requirements for durability and performance validation of modern powertrains and transmissions. Increased and enhanced rig testing is the way to reduce vehicle development times.
AVL's flexible Test System design enables also the development of a2WD powertrain on the 4WD Powertrain Test System.
AVL's Test System involves four major modules:
- The primepover (AVL DynoPrime) has a comparable inertia to the combustion engine which will be emulated. This ensures realistic torque reactions during gear-shifts and realistic acceleration.
- The engine simulation module covers the engine stationary map and the torque rise time. Thus the transmission feels to difference to the replaced combustion engine.
- The vehicle mass simulation is calculating the load to the powertrain based on the road load equation using aerodynamical drag and rolling resistance.
- The load dynamometers (AVL DynoTrain) do have an optimized inertia to ensure a proper vehicle mass simulation.
Benefits at a Glance
- Replacement of transversal mounted engines due to the slim design of AVL's DynoPrime
- Evaluation of specified strain limits of the transmission case and rotating parts
- Evaluation of specified lifetime of gear teeth and bearings
- Determination of lifetime of transmission clutch pack and brake lifetimes
- Evaluation and optimization of the component dimensioning
- Driving Performance and strategy
- Upgrade to Maneuver Based Testing possible