Transmission and Driveline Simulation
Benefits at a Glance
- Fast and accurate analysis of transmission and driveline configuration on fuel efficiency, emission and performance trade-off
- Visual energy flow and losses distribution analysis for any kind of transmission and drivetrain from conventional to pure EV and HEV
- Efficient gear shifting strategy development and virtual drivability assessment together with AVL DRIVE™
Efficiency Enhancement – Understanding Components and Systems
When searching for energy saving potential in already extensively optimized drivelines, a primarily component-focused approach, as was standard and normally sufficient in the past, is no longer appropriate. The entire energy flow from drive power generation to the power at the wheel needs to be investigated, taking into account the loss contribution of each component to vehicle CO2 emissions. This requires a comprehensive systematic approach with an integrated subsystem and detailed component investigation.
Using AVL EXCITE™, component and subsystem analyses are performed in order to derive friction maps for each of the loss-contributing parts. These maps are then used in AVL CRUISE™ for vehicle system investigation, such as the power flow and loss distribution analysis during drive cycle tests. This type of tool interaction makes it possible to understand the impact of each component as well as its modifications on vehicle fuel consumption efficiency, which in turn makes it possible to invest in component improvements with the highest benefit-to-effort ratio.
Effort Reduction in Gear Shifting Program Development
In order to achieve CO2 targets while still providing a competitive balance in terms of vehicle performance and driveability, automated transmission technologies such as AMT, DCT, AT and CVT are increasingly introduced in all markets. Finding the right gear shifting program for the combination of vehicle type, powertrain technology and component limitations is creating new challenges in the vehicle development process.
AVL CRUISE™ GSP (Gear Shifting Program) represents the most efficient way to optimize the development of gear shifting programs. In early concept phases, AVL CRUISE™ GSP module enables engineers to automatically generate gear shifting maps for different vehicle powertrain variants within seconds, improving the accuracy of simulated fuel consumption and vehicle performance results. Later on, calibration engineers can start with a gear shifting program which is near-optimized for fuel efficiency, performance and drive quality before having put the real vehicle on the road or testbed. This significantly reduces the overall development time and in-vehicle testing costs.
Related Simulation Solutions
- AVL CRUISE™ Control Unit-Related Transmission and Driveline Simulation
- AVL CRUISE™ Transmission and Driveline Simulation (Transmission)
- AVL CRUISE™ Transmission and Driveline Simulation (Complete Vehicle)
- AVL EXCITE™ NVH Analysis of Transmissions and Drivelines
- AVL EXCITE™ Strength and Durability Analysis of Transmissions and Drivelines