Component Design for PEMFC, SOFC, SOE
- How can I enhance performance and lifetime on cell and stack level?
- How can I optimize flow field design and avoid flooding in PEMFC?
- How can I ensure even distribution of temperature, current density and gas species?
- How can I balance material costs and optimal performance?
System Level & integration
- How can I select the proper sizing of BoP (balance of plant) components?
- How can I optimize the cooling system for all operating conditions?
- How can I develop a fuel cell control strategy?
- How can I find and optimize the component configuration for FCEV(Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle)?
- Can I reuse component models from office in a HiL and test environment?
The AVL Solution
Multi-Physics 3D CFD
The AVL FIRE™ Fuel Cell Module offers a comprehensive set of modeling capabilities for simulating low and high temperature PEMFC, SOFC and SOE. Simulation results provide detailed insight into local (multi-phase) transport and electrochemical processes enabling identification of critical issues such as e.g. membrane dry-out and liquid water flooding, localization of degradation processes and optimization of operation strategies to avoid local air/fuel starvation. Additionally, boundary conditions for thermo-mechanical fatigue analysis can be provided.
Multi-disciplinary System Simulation
AVL CRUISE™ is tailored for FC (Fuel Cell) development related tasks starting with FCEV concept definition and component sizing on system level as well as for BoP components specification within the FC system itself. It supports integration of FC and/or other systems for control strategy development and model re-use for HiL and testing real-time applications. Scalable FC models from semi-empirical to physical level provide consistency towards the 3D CFD FIRE™ multi-physics approach enabling a seamless development process.
The Added Value
- Cost efficient virtual cell design variations without need for expensive hardware preparation
- Virtual up-scaling from laboratory to industrial cells and stacks
- Fast analysis of material parameter impact onto cell performance and lifetime aspects
- Visualization of cell internal quantities which are difficult or even impossible to measure
- Real time capable FC system simulation models with comprehensive level of physics
- Virtual calibration and integration tests without any risk for the prototypes
- Solutions portfolio supporting system and component development tasks, within pure office environment as well as calibration and test system applications