Powertrain Design for Passenger Cars - E-Motor Design
Powertrain Design for Passenger Cars
Reduced CO2 emissions and low fuel consumption, optimized driveability and maximum safety are the main drivers for the design of modern passenger car powertrains – requirements that often collide with the increasing pressure on the manufacturers to reduce development and production costs as well as the time to market.
Design is at the center of new powertrain development, integrating the often conflicting requirements to provide an overall solution and documenting that solution for repeatable mass production.
AVL understands and handles the complexity of modern powertrains and all its elements. For us, the engine, exhaust aftertreatment, transmission, electric, electronic and safety - including the correlated control systems and software - are the well-tuned components of one integrated solution.
Relying on AVL expertise is the best solution to gain technical advantages:
- Experienced multi-disciplinary team for development projects based on the specific demands and needs of our customers
- Covering of all powertrain-specific aspects under one roof (design, simulation, development, research, plant and production engineering)
- Experience with all kinds of conventional powertrains
- Experience with all kinds of hybridization including battery design
- Detailed and proven concepts with an accurate prediction of fuel consumption, emissions, driveability, reliability and function
- From the first concept up to design to test and production
- Utilization of database of benchmark and measurement data for target and trend analysis
- Decision support by highly sophisticated simulations for all relevant areas
- Use of synergy effects with other development areas, e.g. for energy management simulation
AVL has broad experience in processing all kinds of powertrain development projects and offers a unique spectrum of services that cover all aspects of the development of modern powertrains.
- Engine family concepts
- Cooling system layout
- Aggressive downsizing
- Minimized friction
- Vehicle integration
- Range extender module
- Definition and evaluation of concepts for all elements of the passenger car powertrain in close cooperation with the customer
- Efficient design processes on the base of a simulation-driven "front-loading" approach
- Familiar and experienced with the most recent requirements for IC engines in terms of downsizing, exhaust aftertreatment, electrification and hybridization
- Unique system know-how of all modern types of transmission (Powershift, DCT, CVT)
- Manufacturing-oriented design solutions under consideration of customer needs and product costs