Powerpack Test System - Testing Solutions for Construction Equipment
Durability and performance development for RWD Powertrain without rear differential
Powerpack Test System
The increasing complexity of modern powertrains is placing increasing demands on the Instrumentation and Test Systems. Validating engine and transmission in an early development phase requires test methods where as much system functions as possible can be tested without proving ground tests. Therefore it is mandatory to test available components as soon as possible to improve durability, functionality and performance. The Test System must be flexible to develop various transmission types:
- Manual Transmission (MT)
- Automatic Transmissions (AT)
- Automated Manual Transmissions (AMT)
- Double Clutch Transmissions (DCT)
- Transmissions for Hybrid Electrical Vehicles (HEV)
The success of testing modern and complex powertrains is clearly determined by the "Road to Rig" approach. AVL's Powerpack Test System covers the requirements for durability and performance validation of modern engine and transmissions for a Front-Engine – Rear Drive powertrain configuration without rear differential gearbox. Increased and enhanced rig testing is the way to reduce vehicle development times.
AVL's Test System involves two major modules:
- The vehicle mass simulation is calculating the load to the powertrain based on the road load equation using aerodynamical drag and rolling resistance.
- The load dynamometers (AVL DynoTrain) do have an optimized inertia to ensure a proper vehicle mass simulation.
Benefits at a Glance
- Evaluation of specified strain limits of the transmission case and rotating parts
- Evaluation of specified lifetime of gear teeth and bearings
- Determination of lifetime of transmission clutch pack and brake lifetimes
- Evaluation and optimization of the component dimensioning
- Driving Performance and strategy
- Upgrade to Maneuver Based Testing possible