AVL is the world's largest independent company for the development, simulation and testing of powertrain systems (hybrid, combustion engine, transmission, electric drive, batteries, fuel cell and control technology) for passenger cars, commercial vehicles, construction, large engines and their integration into the vehicle.AVL North America has around 600 employees and 3 locations in Michigan: Plymouth – Headquarters, Ann Arbor and Bloomfield.
Sr. Project Engineer - Engine Development (2019-2336)
AVL Powertrain Engineering, Inc. is looking for an engineer to add to our team with at least 5 years of engine development experience with gasoline engines in performance and emissions. This position will support a large customer production program and qualified candidates should possess highly proficient communication skills. The Sr. Project Engineer position provides technical and program leadership expertise to Skill Team and Cross-Functional engineering program team activities. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Employer will not sponsor an applicant for a work visa for this position.
- The Engine Development Skill Team provides the required combustion system development, performance
- development, air and fuel system specification and development, and engine calibration expertise to projects.
- The specific roles of a Project Engineer Senior in this effort include:
- Defines, plans, and performs combustion, performance development, engine calibration and other relevant engineering project work within project team as required.
- Plans and manages engineering resources according to project requirements.
- Works on specific phases or aspects of projects such as technical studies, preparation of specifications, technical plans, engine testing, data analysis and validation.
- Supports/ensures data quality and writes technical project reports.
- Reviews project for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, and customer requirements, including opinions and interpretations.
- Coordinates activities concerned with technical development, scheduling, and resolving engineering test issues.
- Defines, executes, and supports engine performance and emissions research and development activities.
- Supports, organizes, and leads customer meetings.
- Other duties as required to insure project success
- A Senior Project Engineer is expected to have demonstrated abilities in the following areas:
- Quote Leader for a medium size program
- Support the Business Development process for specific clients
- Efficient on time delivery of program expectations with consistently high feedback
- Active involvement in Annual Review and Work Planning Process
- Identify, initiate, and support opportunities for technology development, process improvements, tool development, and knowledge capture and re-use.
- Provide effective mentorship for other departmental staff in areas of expertise
- Published at least 2 papers accepted by a professional organization or 2 patents awarded
- Global AVL implementation of technology
- Familiarity with regulatory and market segment requirements and end-user expectations
- Independent functionality in at least three of the following areas:
- Combustion system development
- Fuel system specification and development
- Turbocharging and EGR system specification and development
- Engine calibration (base and transient)
- Leadership of small to medium size technical teams
- Working effectively with customers and other program staff and team members
- Accountability for individual and team delivery
- Negotiation for overall success
- Program and resource coordination
- Active pursuit of personal and departmental improvement
- Effective communication with all levels of the program team and customers
- Experience and Education
- Bachelors’ degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field required
- Master’s degree in Engineering preferred
- Minimum of 5 – 7+ years’ experience in area of expertise in area of expertise.
Seize the professional challenges and opportunities offered by a high-tech enterprise - join our international team. We look forward to receiving your details; please use our online application form or send your application to AVL North America, Inc / AVL Powertrain Engineering, Inc. EOE Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access www.avl.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by calling (734)-446-4301