AVL is the world's largest independent company for the development, simulation and testing of powertrain systems (hybrid, combustion engine, transmission, electric drive, batteries, fuel cell and control technology) for passenger cars, commercial vehicles, construction, large engines and their integration into the vehicle.AVL North America has around 600 employees and 3 locations in Michigan: Plymouth – Headquarters, Ann Arbor and Bloomfield.
Project Engineer II - Design and Release (#2019-2410)
AVL Powertrain Engineering, Inc. is looking to increase the design team capabilities to support customer projects in Plymouth, MI. As a Project Engineer II - Design & Release you will be involved in the design and development of various powertrain projects; gasoline, diesel, electrification. This position requires at least 3 years of related experience; with a minimum of 1 year of design and release experience, preferably in powertrain or electrification/battery. The ability and willingness to perform CAD design work as needed is also required. In addition, proficient team communication skills along with good customer and supplier interaction abilities. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Employer will not sponsor an applicant for a work visa for this position
- Performs System level engineering work on customer projects.
- Plans and formulates work flow of self and others to meet specified deadlines with minimum of supervision.
- Has engineering responsibility and can lead specific phases of projects i.e. technical studies, specification writing, establishing technical plans.
- Develops, coordinates development plans and drives own engineering activities accordingly. Plans, initiates and coordinates other activities such as analysis, mechanical development, procurement, quality management.
- Can initiate and coordinate and participate in design FMEA’s in a technical role (not as a moderator).
- Co-ordinates project meetings, design reviews and sign off reviews.
- Responsibility for reports and presentations (internal and to customer)
- Resolves engineering and design conflicts. Being able to judge when to escalate to project management, chief engineer, etc.
- Maintain interface with other systems of the overall project.
- Owns all system engineering tasks relating to system responsibility i.e.:
- Resolving design constraints and establishing interfaces
- DFMEA’s, DVPR’s
- BOM input
- Coordinating input from other skill teams as required i.e. analysis
- Supplier negotiations and lead-time planning
- Change management
- Customer interface
- Drives release/sign-off process and makes sure that all activities are planned, executed and targets met for release according to project timing plan
- Makes sure that all design, analysis and mech. dev. deliverables are met according to project timing plan
- Able to coordinate work to meet tight deadlines
- Awareness of costs and budgets
- Lead and author single team proposals
- Provide engineering leadership to project teams
- Bachelors’ degree in engineering OR powertrain design required
- Masters’ degree preferred
- 3-5+ years’ experience; minimum of 1 year experience in design & release
- Excellent knowledge of more than one area of engine systems
- CAD skills, preferable Catia V5, (not required but would be an advantage)
- Can lead system engineering process i.e.
- P-diagrams and boundary diagrams
- Supplier negotiations
- Team leader skills
- Communication and presentation skills
- Good understanding of CAE tools and practices
- Good understanding of mechanical development
- Understanding of quality management tools
- Working effectively with customers and other program staff and team members
- Accountability for individual and team delivery
- Active pursuit of personal and departmental improvement
- Effective communication with all levels of the program team
- Effective communication with customers
Seize the professional challenges and opportunities offered by a high-tech enterprise - join our international team. We look forward to receiving your details; please use our online application form or send your application to AVL North America, Inc / AVL Powertrain Engineering, Inc. EOE Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access www.avl.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by calling (734)-446-4301