Battery Thermal, Mechanical & EMC Simulation - Engineering Solutions for Batteries
Experience A New Level Of Simulation Competence
Battery Thermal, Mechanical & EMC Simulation
Full Virtual Development Support for Automotive Battery Development
Battery system and component simulation is a key to virtually develop and optimize the battery design upfront to testing and validation. Mechanical simulations for durability and crash, thermal simulations on cell and component cooling/conditioning coupled with electrical models and on system level for cooling power distribution as well as EMC for enhanced electrical function and cell ageing simulation for optimization and system requirement definition can be provided for our customers.
Simulation is a key process step in modern automotive development. Growing complexity of models and increasing numbers of different simulation tools needs additional expertise in selection and handling of simulation and its integration into the product development.
- Are cell and battery models available?
- Have impact on cell swelling and crash/crush requirements been considered in the development
- Is expertise on coupled electro-thermal and mechanical-electrical simulation available?
- Is EMC something that is considered in the design process already?
The AVL Solution
Virtual Development is a core competence of AVL. Therefore simulation models for the battery and its subsystems like cells, electrical components and thermal conditioning system have been developed and validated. Based on AVLs knowledge the following topics are simulated either in detail (3D) or as system simulations (0/1D) according to the customers' needs.
The Added Value
- Increase safety through a suitable mechanical integration of cells and protection under all conditions supported by mechanical simulations (e.g. cell swelling over life, tightness of the gasket, torsion, and stability of the housing)
- Increase reliability for crash safety through precise battery pack simulations such as sled or pump tests
The animated picture below show the crack of a frame at a led test. An analysis gives design recommendations, which will lead to an improved safety and no cracks.
- Increase reliability for the electrochemical energy storage through an advanced thermal simulation approach
- Assurance of power availability and long battery life through standardized CAE engineering process for battery and electric vehicle thermal management analysis
- Fast development through one holistic model for 3D electro-thermal performance and 0/1D vehicle energy management simulation with AVL Cruise.