Low Height Batteries for Sedan Architectures - Engineering Solutions for Passenger Cars
For Future Electric Vehicles
Low Height Batteries for Sedan Architectures
AVL’s expertise in the development and testing of low height battery pack systems (<80 mm) offers OEMs and manufacturers a range of opportunities in the design and manufacturability of BEV sedan architectures. This ensures enhanced drive comfort and NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) while seat position, basic design and vehicle range can be compared to a typical sedan or coupe.
We have a clear focus on engineering cost and the competence to balance functions between the component battery and its powertrain integration. Additionally, we manage all interfaces between battery, powertrain system, chassis and production technologies with a simultaneous engineering approach.
The Technical Challenges of Low Height BEV Batteries
Low height batteries present a range of challenges for development teams. These include mastering the stacking of the mechanical system, the EE system and interior protection in the z-direction. Questions regarding the right geometric and electrical boundary conditions for cells as well as a maximized energy density must also to be answered.
Our approach covers the entire development process:
- Battery Concept: A library of 25 battery concept feasibility studies
- Mechanical, electrical and thermal design: integration of thermal, tailored mechanical and selected electrical component systems
- CAE analysis: Frontloading for all critical processes
- Design-to-cost manufacturing: Optimizing the move from prototype to production
- Prototype assembly and build: AVL’s prototyping expertise enables the purchasing, inspection and assembly of prototype hardware
- Battery testing solutions: Specialized high-power testbeds up to 1000 Volts available worldwide
Our global infrastructure, experience, and expertise in battery technology provides customers with access to commercially viable, tailored low-height battery modules with optimized energy density and lifespan. Design is conducted with production in mind, using conventional or new cutting-edge production technologies.
With proven virtual validation techniques for thermal, electrical and mechanical battery integration, customers can be sure of safe field operation. Transparent cost engineering in all development phases helps to achieve quality and cost targets safely during battery integration.