Engine Testing - Performance and Emission - Performance, Emission & Efficiency
Engine Testing - Performance and Emission
The Performance and Emission Test System comprises a base system for steady state and transient development. It includes an exhaust emission measuring system, high precision fuel consumption & conditioning system and can be extended with tools such as automated calibration.
Benefits at a Glance
- Flexible development environment providing high precision and reproducibility
- Conglomerate of best-in-class measurement instrumentation
- Highest development efficiency, shortening time to market
Supported engine types and sizes:
- Compressed ignition (CI) and spark ignition (SI) engines
- Power range: ≤ 100KW up to ≥ 1MW
- Fuel type and properties: diesel and gasoline fuels with up to 20 % alcohol (M20 or E20) and 6 % biodiesel; natural gas, LPG
Supported development work on:
Baseline ECU Calibration
- Charge determination
- Initial controller calibration
- Steady state compensation maps
- ECU master data set
- Update cycles
Steady state development:
- Engine break in cycle
- Acquisition of basic measurement data
- Net power investigations and determination of pumping losses
- Tolerance investigations (effect of scatter of parameters and components)
- Emission reduction strategies
Transient development tasks
- Optimization of engine response
- Hardware verification
- Transient calibration for pre-production engine
- Hardware freeze calibration
- Exhaust emission development
Typical Power Classes Light Duty:
Typical Power Classes Heavy Duty:
Automation and Control
AVL Suite™ based PUMA Open Automation and Control provides uniform usability and compatibility throughout all AVL Suite™ products. Embedded emission test application software is available for entire emission test regulation compliance.
Active dynamometer based load systems providing thermal optimized design to achieve highly accurate and repeatable engine power determination.
Includes a suitable scope on sensors and transmitters for temperature and pressure measurement via AVL Front End Modules. Measuring devices for blow-by, lambda and combustion analysis complete this scope.
Fuel Consumption Measurement and Conditioning
The high precision measurement of diesel and gasoline fuel consumption is facilitated by being suited to most of the common fuel injection systems.
Exhaust Emission Measurement
For both diluted and undiluted exhaust gas sampling and analysis AVL exhaust gas emission benches, Particulate Sampling Systems, Soot and Opacity Smoke measuring devices are considered.
Air Measurement and Conditioning
From intake air consumption and conditioning to boost air cooling and exhaust back pressure adjustment, all the required measurement and conditioning units are provided.
For keeping the engine's cooling water temperature within specified tolerances and to have repeatable testing conditions.
Test System Mechanics
Suitably sized air spring designed base plate in combination with engine mounting system for precise positioning and alignment of the engine to the dynamometer axle.
System Integration and Start-Up Service
From project kick-off up to final acceptance with start-up support the customer is assisted with professional AVL project services.