Battery System Validation
High-voltage and high-energy/capacity batteries are a newly developed technology within the automotive industry. Lack of experience can pose a significant risk for the battery supplier and the OEM regarding warranty and service cost, even jeopardizing the market reputation.
In order to avoid worst case situations, AVL focuses on suitable and efficient methods for the validation of vehicle battery systems for the entire lifetime.
AVL has developed the LOAD MATRIX® method to assess the durability and reliability potential of complex systems. This method has proven itself in various vehicle system development programs in the past decade and is available for battery system validation. It focuses on reducing cost and time for the evaluation of reliability and durability, especially in rather new systems like batteries.
Appropriate methods for an improved validation have to cover the following key topics:
- Analysis and characterization of key issues of the used battery technology in every component
- Clear definition of durability and reliability development targets
- Clarification of customer usage profiles for battery specific topics
- Precise structuring of testing activities in the scope of OEMs and suppliers
- Demonstration of actual development status, the resulting risks and required optimization steps for all involved development partners