AVL FIRE™ Solver
AVL FIRE™ concept and basic modelling capabilities.
AVL FIRE™ is a powerful multi-purpose thermo-fluid software package. It represents the latest generation of 3D computational fluid dynamics. It can be universally applied to simulate complex fluid flows in the context of numerous applications in different industries, environment and sports.
The FIRE™ Main Program
In order to achieve the most accurate solutions the FIRE™ solver uses a pressure based segregated solution algorithm. Implicit time discretization schemes are first or second order accurate. First, second and third order accurate conservative and bounded differencing schemes are offered. Excellent accuracy and stability is given by a two stage pressure correction.
Multiple choices exist for turbulence modeling, ranging from the well-known and commonly used k-ε model via AVL's proven k-ζ-f model to PANS (Partial Averaged Navier Stokes) and LES (Large Eddy Simulation). Enhanced wall treatment models are available as well. Multiple types of inlet, outlet and wall boundary conditions including those for trans and supersonic flows are offered enabling a realistic simulation setup.
Commonly Used Features
- Solution of Navier Stokes equations in arbitrary polyhedral cells of boundary fitted grids
- Steady and transient simulation mode
- Compressible and incompressible, laminar and turbulent flows
- Handling of domains with and without moving boundaries
- Multiple frame of reference (MFR), mixing plane and sliding interfaces for rotating parts
- User-defined formulas and functions
Commonly Solved Problems
- Single and multiphase flows
- Non-reacting and reacting flows
- Species transport and general gas phase reactions using in-build and fully coupled chemistry solver
- Conjugate heat transfer, radiation
- Flows in porous media
- "Single phase boiling"