AVL VEHICLE ENGINEERING
The choice of CO2 and efficiency measures from the powertrain to the vehicle is all about deciding on the right balance between cost and positive driving attributes.
The AVL Global Vehicle Benchmarking Program provides an extensive database for comparison with market competitors.
The established development & assessment tool AVL-DRIVE™ has been extended and measures a broad range of end-customer relevant driving attributes. In combination with our comprehensive simulation tools we offer a holistic approach to solve trade-offs between vehicle efficiency and interacting driving attributes in the early development phases.
Our development support is based on our established core competences in powertrains and complemented by an energetic view across the entire vehicle covering all fuel consumption relevant aspects of current and future vehicles.
- Base vehicle measurement and analysis including comparison with competitor vehicles utilizing AVL-DRIVE™ and AVL Global Vehicle Benchmarking database
- CO2 and fuel consumption potential analysis from the engine and powertrain system up to the complete vehicle with evaluation of feasible technical measures
CO2 Improvement Package with Driving Attributes Engineering
- Balanced vehicle driving attributes are developed and detailed lists of technical measures that fulfill targets for improved CO2 emissions, fuel consumption, cost, performance, driveability, handling, ride comfort, sound/NVH and real driving emissions are provided
- Concept development on software and/or hardware basis including the monitoring of how targets are being met in order to support the overall vehicle concept
- Profound knowledge of engine and powertrain systems combined with high expertise across energetic interrelations at the entire vehicle level
- Comprehensive in-house tools for simulation and objectified vehicle assessment with a wide range of vehicle instrumentation and testing capabilities
Benefits at a Glance
- Better solutions for fuel efficiency improvements and achievable quality levels of end-consumer relevant driving attributes
- Continuous tracing of the achievement of targets along development steps, leading to high quality products and time-efficient development progress
- Stringent legislation for fleet average CO2 emissions and fuel consumption worldwide
- End-consumer expectations regarding improved fuel economy
Challenges for vehicle manufacturers
- Progressive and regionally differing CO2 limits need significant efficiency optimization of all vehicle systems including the complete vehicle
- Increasing number of vehicle variants with a higher diversification of propulsion systems and fuels
- Trade-offs between affordable vehicle efficiency measures and positive driving experience to achieve high-end consumer acceptance