AVL is the world's largest independent company for the development, simulation and testing of powertrain systems (hybrid, combustion engine, transmission, electric drive, batteries, fuel cell and control technology) for passenger cars, commercial vehicles, construction, large engines and their integration into the vehicle.AVL North America has around 600 employees and 3 locations in Michigan: Plymouth – Headquarters, Ann Arbor and Bloomfield.
Project Engineer - Systems (2019-2344)
AVL Powertrain Engineering is looking for a Systems Engineer for the Menlo Park, California. This position will support customers in the Menlo Park surrounding area and will require individuals with at least 3 years of experience working as a systems engineer or related. This position will report to the Executive Director, CTC. The Sr. Engineer - Systems, provides technical and program execution skills to Skill Team and Cross-Functional engineering program team activities. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Employer will not sponsor an applicant for a work visa for this position.
- The Systems Engineering Team delivers functional integration of mechanical, electrical, thermodynamic, and energy storage systems within hybrid and electric vehicle applications. The group is responsible for delivering a system based approach to efficiently capture functional requirements as well as executing vehicle development programs.
- The specific roles of an Engineer in this effort include:
- Execute systems engineering principles to integrate ADAS, hybrid and electric vehicle technology.
- Lead definition and execution of: functional requirements, system boundaries, component & subsystem interface definition, functional safety, and performance tracking
- Provide core technical guidance & oversight to quality and reliability engineering and assist with FMEA & related activities
- Plans and manages engineering activities according to project requirements.
- Works on specific phases or aspects of projects such as technical studies, preparation of specifications, technical plans, vehicle systems and component testing, data analysis and validation.
- Supports/ensures data quality and writes technical project reports.
- Reviews project for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, and customer requirements, including opinions and interpretations.
- Coordinates activities concerned with technical development, scheduling, and resolving engineering test issues.
- Plans and executes hybrid and electric vehicle research and development activities.
- Supports, organizes, and leads customer meetings.
- Other duties as required to insure project success.
- A Project Engineer is expected to have demonstrated performance abilities in the following areas:
- Quote Leader for a small size program
- Support the Business Development process for specific clients
- Efficient on time delivery of program expectations with consistently high feedback
- Identify and support opportunities for technology development, process improvements, tool development, and knowledge capture and re-use.
- Published at least 2 papers accepted by a professional organization or 2 patents awarded
- Familiarity with regulatory and market segment requirements and end-user expectations
- Independent functionality in at least four of the following areas and core competency in 2 of the hybrid and electric areas:
- Hybrid/Electric System Functional Operation and Optimization experience (inclusive of high voltage electrical systems)
- High voltage component integration (power steering, Thermal management, Exportable power, Level 2 onboard charging, DC fast charging, power distribution)
- Traction motor integration (clutched or direct)
- Power electronics for PM or AC induction machines
- HV battery integration (lithium based cell technology/BMS basic familiarity)
- Power electronics / energy storage thermal management
- Base Engine Performance & Emissions Performance Requirements
- Transmission Performance & Efficiency Optimization
- Vehicle Level Drivability, Fuel Economy, Emissions & Performance Attribute Optimization
- Powertrain integration to vehicle / chassis development and production release
- Hybrid/electrification technology development within passenger car, medium duty, or heavy duty
- Vehicle and subsystem level EMI / EMC systems requirements development and validation
- Robotic system knowledge (ROS)
- Matlab/Simulink system modeling and simulation
- ADAS/Autonomous experience
- Experience working with ALM (Application Lifecycle Management)/Requirements Management tool chains, such as DOORS, DNG, Integrity, JAMA, etc
- Experience with one or a number of the following: Functional Safety (ISO26262), Cyber Security (ISO21434), SOTIF (Safety of the Intended Function)
- Working effectively with customers and other program staff and team members
- Accountability for individual and team delivery
- Program and resource coordination
- Active pursuit of personal and departmental improvement
- Effective communication with all levels of the program team and customers
- Experience and Education
- Bachelors’ degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or related field required
- Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 3+ years’ experience in area of expertise in relevant (ideally vehicle electrification)
- Experience in software and ADAS/AD integration OR powertrain controls is preferred
Seize the professional challenges and opportunities offered by a high-tech enterprise - join our international team. We look forward to receiving your details; please use our online application form or send your application to AVL North America, Inc / AVL Powertrain Engineering, Inc. EOE Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access www.avl.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by calling (734)-446-4301